Saturday, June 9, 2007

What I learned from Working at a Larger Company

Middle Zone Musings proposed a group writing project. The topic was something you learned from work. So here it is.

What I have learned from working in a larger company…

When I sold my company, EMJ, to SYNNEX close to three years ago, I was thrust into a company that was many times larger than the company that I was previously running. My company (EMJ) had sales of about $375 million and SYNNEX had sales in the billions.

Because I had started EMJ from nothing, I generally spend my time selling to customers and vendors and speaking to people inside EMJ who supported any initiatives that I put forward.

The first few months that I was at SYNNEX, I found it to be extremely difficult. All of a sudden, people inside SYNNEX did not automatically take my direction. I had not earned their respect. I was the new guy. Working in this situation weighed heavily on me.

So I sought the counsel of one of my mentors. He suggested that I needed to treat it like a sale. When I accepted this, a huge weight was lifted. I was accustomed to selling, getting rejected, persisting, changing tactics etc and for some reason I do not find struggle in a selling situation to be depressing.

And that is one learning. There are lots more. Constant learning is one thing that keeps me inspired.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy, Jim! Sounds like you had a pretty good mentor, there. I can just imagine the adjustments that had to be made; not always the most fun thing, but wow! what a lesson in personal growth!

    Great illustration, and thanks for chipping in. Oh, and welcome to the Middle Zone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim

    Isn't it great we have mentors around to make things simple? Change the mind-set - problem half solved.

    Karin H. (Keep It Simple Sweetheart, specially in business)

    ReplyDelete