Monday, October 22, 2007

Doing it vs Getting it Done - Delegation

I took yesterday off. Beautiful day. Hiked up the Niagara escarpment and a bit of the Bruce Trail.

I have found as SYNNEX (or EMJ for that matter) scales, I, personally, can get less done. What I am learning to do is to not necessarily do it but just make sure it is done.

The better I know myself, the better I find I can get results. When I was younger, I felt I had to do everything myself and that trait has been hard to kill. I was muscling through things that I am not well suited to do. This robbed me of time that I could spend offering the greatest value. And also tended to not get the best result.

So I delegate. Of course taking full responsibility for the result.

Of course some people might say "I don't have people who work for me so i have to do it all myself". Not true, you can often delegate to a customer, supplier, co-worker, friend etc. The key in delegation is "who can do the job significantly easier, faster or better than you".

Of course this is easy to say. If I was real good at it, I would not be in my office now just because I took a Sunday off. So - still learning (which is good).

In the end, it is all about results. And I realize that doing it myself is not likely to be the best way to get the best results. It is not about doing it, it is about getting it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment