Saturday, April 18, 2009

More Success Rules - Start to Finish Momentum

My blog post on Success spawned feedback that prompt me to write on it again.

My mom said "Finishing is one Success rule". So true. I know a lot of people who do 80 or 90% but never finish.

I would add "Starting is also a Success rule". Often people simply do not start. So start it.

Both parts of just doing it are important. Then they need to be tied together and what I use is momentum.

So what are some of the tricks I use to gain and keep momentum from start to finish?

1 - I have many mantras. Statements I repeat often to myself. One of these is "Just Do It". Hopefully Nike does not sue me for it.

2 - I do the worst thing first thing. I have a to do list. I simply go through it and pick the one task I am like the least and do it first. Brian Tracy calls this "Eat a Frog first thing and the rest of the day looks better". He even wrote a simple book on how to solve procrastination called Eat That Frog.

To add power to this technique, I create 2 first things. First thing in the morning and first thing after lunch. What originally spawned this was the fact that I could not call someone first thing in the morning often because they would not be available so I started adding after lunch. I found this so effective, that I have kept this habit.

I soften the technique some by adding "15 minutes". I have the theory that I can do anything for 15 minutes. Often when I start it I keep going but I give myself permission to stop after 15 minutes.

3 - Break the big job down into small parts. Small parts are not onerous. And often some of the small parts are easy to do.

4 - Do a few small parts of the job. Success builds momentum.

5 - Set a specific time for a job or task. I find I am more likely to do something if I have a specific time to start it.

6 - I ask myself "what would I like to have done by the end of the day". This simple technique often inspires me to complete the task.

7 - Sometimes I journal. I tend to do this sporadically. For me a journal is not where I put my feelings. Rather I write what I accomplished and how I am doing on my goals. For some reason, knowing that I will write about it helps me keep on task.

Any other ideas on starting, maintaining momentum and finishing?

4 comments:

  1. Another good post.

    Sometimes to keep momemtum, when we can all be easily knocked off track, we "keep our eye on the prize" it is sometimes a far, far way off. Maintaining the positive outcome vision that the prize is just another step closer, helps in maintaining momentum.

    Rewarding oneself for a job well done with a break or a small distraction can also be useful for maintaining momentum, when some tasks become tedious. This tends to stop procrastination in its tracks, by not feeling guilty about a small delay.


    regards,

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Keeping your eye on the prize" is definitely something I was thinking of when reading the post.
    I also think that reading about, speaking to, or watching something/someone that motivates you can get you pumped up enough to knock off a couple of those tasks which seem most daunting.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I really like the notion of having two frogs in the day; I plan to implement that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised you did not say "rise early". I know you do from the time on some of your posts (particularly impressed that you do this even on the weekends)

    ReplyDelete