Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Self development day

In Fremont now after an uneventful 5 hour (plus a short ½ hour) flight.

Yesterday was a self development day. Almost a holiday. I sat through the management training session that Larry and John did. Lots of talk about flexibility, adaptability, change, leadership etc. Inspiring. I then lead my Time Leadership course.

After a few quick meetings, I was flying. Read “Disney Wars” which is interesting, long, almost a business thriller. It tells of boardroom intrigue, company politics etc. Almost more of a novel. If you choose to read it, it will take a few hours.

I also read John Maxwell’s 17 indispensable laws of Teamwork. His books are always very quick to read. He uses a lot of sports team analogies. Makes many excellent points. Worth reading.

I also listened so some Zig Ziglar and Sun Tsu’s Art of War (which is a long one). It tells of high violence and very much a win lose approach. It also occurs to me that it is easy to lead through intimidation (mostly beheading) but truly great leaders lead through inspiration.

As I take in all this information, I realize that many of my thoughts are just synthesis of many other people’s thoughts. This can be one way I add value. I process high volumes of information. Much of the study that I do simply triggers other ideas. If I need an idea, I just read or listen to anything business related and often good ideas come to me.

2 comments:

  1. It's a very rare person who can arrive at a worthwhile idea through thinking in a vacuum, in general it is better to accept the helping hand to stand upon the shoulders of giants that went before you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To know you and other who think that reading is very important for self development

    ReplyDelete